ATLA Religion Database® (ATLA RDB®) with ATLASerials PLUS™ (ATLAS PLUS™) combines the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA's largest online collection of major religion and theology journals.
New / Trial Databases
The following databases are newly acquired or being evaluated for a future subscription.
The award-winning Arcadian Library Online enables easy exploration of the rich holdings of the Arcadian Library, revealing the shared cultural heritage of Europe and the Middle East across the course of a millennium. Images are displayed in high resolution, full colour and include bindings, clasps and page edges. Choose between an English or Arabic interface and search in either language.
Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts combines visual inspiration with practical advice on everything from idea generation and research techniques to portfolio development – making this the ultimate guide to a visual arts education.
The platform offers access to a carefully curated collection of fully-searchable text and image content, incorporating the new edition of Sir Banister Fletcher’s Global History of Architecture, exclusive to the platform and produced in partnership with the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the University of London. The all new Banister Fletcher is global in focus and sits alongside peer-reviewed cutting-edge academic research and a wealth of images.
Bloomsbury Collections delivers online access to scholarly books from Bloomsbury’s award-winning Academic division. Spanning the arts, humanities and social sciences, the site features the latest research publications from Bloomsbury, T&T Clark, The Arden Shakespeare and Hart Publishing, alongside scholarship from historic imprints Continuum, Berg and Bristol Classical Press. New frontlist collections are added each year.
Offering exclusive digital access to Bloomsbury’s ground-breaking Cultural Histories series alongside an extensive eBook collection and primary sources from leading global institutions, Bloomsbury Cultural History offers students and scholars a unique approach to this diverse field of study.
"•More than 80+ eBooks to complelemnt the reference works
•An illustrated and interactive timeline provides contextual background from antiquity to modernity
•Browse by theme or period to find the most beneficial content
•A bespoke taxonomy allows users to discover the most relevant content
•Annual updates will be made available making this a constantly expanding resource for students and researchers
•Image partnership s with the Wellcome Collections and the Rijksmuseum, containing over 2000 images to enable a deeper insight and understanding of the subjects
•A growing selection of lesson plans to assist teaching"
The Bloomsbury Design Library gives comprehensive global coverage of the history, theory and practice of crafts and design, from prehistoric times to the present day.
"• Definitive reference works including the Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Design. Victor Margolin’s renowned World history of design, and exclusive articles from the Encyclopedia of Asian Design
• More than 85 eBooks by scholars including Glenn Adamson, Tony Fry, John Heskett, and Penny Sparke
• Over 100 Designer pages providing essential details and links to further reading about key figures
• A rich selection of 2000 object images from the Museum of Arts and Design, New York, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art collections
• Exhibition pages providing key information on design exhibition
• Exclusive lesson plans and bibliographic guides to help users navigate key content
• An interactive timeline offering an illustrated and linked overview of global design history to enhance contextual understanding
• Powerful search function and customized taxonomy that allow users to navigate seamlessly between the designers, places, and periods relevant to their work
• Updated with new content of the highest quality including reference articles, image collections, and exhibition archives from an expanding number of museum partners "
Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies offers systematic and comprehensive coverage of education and childhood studies around the world.
"• Over 250 peer-reviewed articles on six levels of education and childhood across 18 countries
• Country overview articles provide accessible information on Early Childhood, Childhood, youth, primary education, secondary education, and higher education
• The entire education around the world reference series, comprising 18 volumes and covering every single country in the world
• More than 65 academic eBooks on comparative and international education, including Peace Education (prose award honorable mention 2017)
• A collection of over 69 policy reports from the World Bank group open knowledge repository
• Downloadable tables and enhanced graphs for easy viewing
• Powerful search function and related content makes finding relevant information quick and easy
• Country and section landing pages bring relevant content together
• An interactive world map helps users find content by region and country
• A seamless pop-up glossary enhances students’ understanding of the text "
Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers features critical biographies of individuals who have contributed to the history of intellectual thought.
"• Growing each year, it currently includes over 8,000 biographical articles on thinkers from North America, Britain, Ireland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and the Middle East.
• Figures from Europe, Asia, Latin America, and Africa will be added to make this an ever-expanding, global resource
• Alongside the giants of philosophy are civil rights activists, classicists, clergymen, economists, mathematicians, novelists, poets, politicians, and scientists
• Highly detailed and cross-referenced entries cover the life, work, and reception of a thinker as well as a bibliography and suggestions for further reading
• Access to authoritative, peer-reviewed, biographical, and critical articles
• Develop contextual understanding through an interactive historical timeline "
Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases brings fashion business to life and creates a link between education and industry. Designed to help students develop the essential business skills required by the next generation of fashion industry professionals, this digital resource is global in focus and presents real-world cases on challenges facing the business of fashion, tackling important issues such as sustainability, technology, ethics, and leadership.
"• Over 170 cases covering a vast range of topics designed to suit the entire breadth of the fashion curriculum, from design to retailing.
• Global cases exploring the industry in the US, UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, and beyond
• A range of levels, lengths, and approaches to suit varying student requirements throughout their studies
• Partner case collections from leading fashion business schools around the world
• Teaching notes and supplemental resources to help educators make the most out of the dynamic case study method of teaching
• Authoritative and visually oriented cases selected and reviewed by subject specialist editors who bring valuable educator and industry experience
• Real cases that explore issues facing the industry right now, with of-the-moment challenges
• A comprehensive taxonomy that aligns with global fashion curriculums
• IP-wide access to cases via the academic library, simplifying discovery and access to cases outside the traditional per-case purchase model"
Winner of the Dartmouth Medal, Berg Fashion Library is the leading resource for students and researchers of fashion studies. Interdisciplinary in nature, with great visual and integrated content, it is invaluable for researchers in the areas of fashion, museum studies, cultural studies, anthropology, and more.
Providing an extensive collection of food content, Bloomsbury Food Library offers students, researchers, and scholars an unprecedented insight into this diverse field of study.
"• Global coverage including Ken Albala’s Food Cultures of the World Encyclopedia and the Cambridge World History of Food
• Major reference works including Bloomsbury’s A cultural history of Food and key chapters from Food History: critical and primary Sources
• Over 80 eBooks by key authors in the field
• Image collections from institutions around the globe including the culinary arts museum at Johnson & Wales university, The National Archives, The New York Public Library and The Metropolitan Museum of Art USA
• A growing selection of lesson plans to aid teaching
• Fast, cross-searchable access to the widest ranging collection of food related studies content
• A tailored taxonomy enabling easy browsing across discipline, topic, place, and period
• An interactive visual timeline highlighting key facts in food history from pre-history to the present day
• A world map enabling users to navigate to books and articles covering a country or region
• A powerful browse and search functionality, allowing users to find relevant materials across all types of content and disciplines
• Annual updates will be made available making this an ever-expanding resource
• Related Content links on every content page making it easy to discover relevant material
• Intuitive, user-friendly interface
• Easy to cite, share and print content
• Personal Account feature enables users to save books, chapters, or other items to view later; organize saved items into folders; emails and export citations; save searches and set up search alerts
Bloomsbury Medieval Studies offers a global perspective on this rich field of study, bringing together high quality secondary content with visual primary sources, a brand new reference work and object images in a one-stop digital resource that will open up the medieval world.
"• Fully- searchable access to a broad range of over 150 scholarly books including primary texts, research monographs, companions and more
• Leading texts from Bloomsbury and other top publishers in the field such as IB Tauris, Arc Humanities Press and Amsterdam University Press
• The Encyclopedia of the Global Middle Ages a new and exclusive reference work written by international scholars which combines thematic overviews, primary source analyses, and core case studies
• Exceptional visual sources, including newly digitized and rare incunabula from Senate House Library, high-resolution medieval maps from the British Library, and over 1000 images from the Metropolitan museum of Art
• A growing selection of study resources curated by major scholars, to be expanded in product updates
• An interactive timeline with a global focus which places image and text content from across the resource within their time and geographical region
• Enhances research with a unique combination of global primary and second material, including visual sources to boost student engagement
• Draws out regional interconnectivity and differences through the innovative and internationally authored articles in the Encyclopedia of the Global Middle Ages
• Brings the period to life with material culture object images, illuminated manuscript pages and other artwork which deepen understanding and give substance to key themes
• Supports undergraduate study across disciplines covering the medieval period, as a one-stop resource with consolidated, searchable material "
Bloomsbury Popular Music is a unique source of scholarship and serious in-depth analysis of popular music in a global context.
"• Multi-volume landmark reference work, the Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World, features top international contributors and online-exclusive article updates
• All over 140 volumes of the widely acclaimed 33 ½ and 33 1/3 Global book series, providing in-depth analysis of influential albums across diverse musical eras, by artists ranging from Caetano Veloso to Public Enemy
• An expanding selection of scholarly books from Bloomsbury’s Popular Music Studies list, comprising edited volumes, biographies, and historical overviews
• Artist pages, with a selection of artist biographies – ideal for quick reference and contextualizing the life and work of key figures in popular music
• Browse seamlessly between influential artists, albums, musical eras, and genres – all content is linked and cross-searchable, helping users to connect information and navigate directly to relevant material
• Discover interactive features such as a Timeline of Popular Music to develop contextual understanding of albums and artists, and a World Map for navigation by region of interest"
Find it. Write it. Cite it. The Chicago Manual of Style Online is the venerable, time-tested guide to style, usage, and grammar in an accessible online format. ¶ It is the indispensable reference for writers, editors, proofreaders, indexers, copywriters, designers, and publishers, informing the editorial canon with sound, definitive advice. ¶ Over 1.5 million copies sold! - Home page.
Published in October 2012 by Bloomsbury Publishing in collaboration with the Churchill Archives Centre, the Churchill Archive is a digital library of modern international history.
"• 800,000 pages of original documents produced between 1874-1965, spanning the period from the Boer War to the Cold War
• Educational resources written by leading academics, which explore key topics in the 20th century history and provide links into the documents, further reading lists, bibliographies, and references
• Supports research into key areas of 20th century history as well as courses in World Wars 1 and 2, world history, economic history, political history, social policy, and cultural studies
• Offers a structured way to introduce students to primary source material and explore its relevance to their study and research topics
• Provides powerful search options, as well as the ability to filter by topic, place, period, or people or to browse the cataloguing system of the original archives
• Enables personalization: save searches, export citations and favorite, download or print documents
• Offers guidance on using an archive for research through Ask the Archivist, a page designed to gain insights and pointers into how to use and interpret the Churchill Archive, what archives are, and how to make sense of the results you are presented with. "
The award-winning Drama Online introduces new writers alongside the most iconic names in playwriting history, providing contextual and critical background through scholarly works and practical guides.
"• Curated collections, so you can customize your institution’s Drama Online experience with any combination of collections, which are available on a perpetual access or subscription based model
• Powerful cross-searching: All collections on the Drama Online platform are indexed according to a detailed taxonomy defectively integrating content across products and content types
• Access for all: Drama Online offers unlimited simultaneous access and streaming, so students can access the materials they need anywhere on campus, at home, or even abroad
• Combines play texts, audio recordings, and video in one place, so every student can access the text in a meaningful way
• Interactive transcript player- full transcripts are available for all video content, with real-time tracking of lines spoken, automatic text scrolling, hyperlinked text for easy navigation to the relevant timestamp and a ‘search transcript’ function
• Character grid- each play includes a character grid that shows character appearances by part and scene with dots that correspond in size to the number of lines spoken, showing how and when characters interact
• Words and speeches graph – each play includes a bar graph showing the number of words in each scene by total or by individual character
• Intuitive eReader includes in-text annotations and citations, with page numbers and line numbers that match up exactly with print editions"
Offering everything a person needs to know to enter—and thrive—in the fashion industry, Fairchild Books Library provides content that covers a full spectrum of topics in fashion including construction, draping, fashion business management, history, illustration, journalism, marketing, promotion, theory, pattern making, styling, product development, sustainable fashion, textiles, and more.
"• Rich content that blends the practical with the theoretical with titles covering every core topic in fashion to guide a student through their studies
• Content is indexed at the chapter level to enable easy discovery to provide both a learning and a reference experience
• An interactive timeline showing the development of clothing from its earliest history through to the present day
• Integrated STUDIO ancillaries specific to each book allow users to personalize their study with multiple choice questions and quizzes, flashcards, and video and audio resources
• Especially commissioned video content supports visual learners through ‘how to ‘demos as well as visual overviews of key topics, reinforcing and expanding on content in chapters
• As part of Bloomsbury Fashion Central, students can extend their learning and expand their research by accessing related content from Berg Fashion Library, Fashion Photography Archive, and Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases
• Teaching resources and lesson plans are available to instructors upon request"
Curated by Editor-in-Chief Valerie Steele, Director of the Museum at FIT in New York, this resource showcases more than 775,000 newly-digitized and high-quality images that feature forty years of contemporary fashion history along with a timeline, lesson plans, and videos to create a rich educational resource.
"• Rare images featuring internationally renowned designers and brands
• International coverage from Paris, London, New York, Milan, and beyond
• Detailed metadata for each photograph to ensure accuracy enhance search and browse, and guarantee effective linking between text, and images
• Supports cross disciplinary research in a vibrant period of fashion history. Designed to excite engage and inspire students across a wide range of courses and promote further discovery
• Exclusive academic articles providing essential context on key catwalk collections specific themes and styles of dressing, fashion icons, single object analysis, specific decades, and the use of colors in fashion
• Resources include a timeline, lesson plans, and videos that are supported by a rich taxonomy and comprehensive indexing
• Accurate and highly detailed indexed images and articles to support projects and research
• Personalize, save content, and search across all products on Bloomsbury Fashion Central "
Human Kinetics Library is dedicated to the research, teaching, and understanding of kinesiology, sport, and exercise science.
"• Access to market leading content including textbooks, supplementary monographs, and materials for practitioners
• User-friendly platform featuring an engaging, easy to navigate interface and sophisticated indexing and searching tools, allowing for easy research and discoverability at the chapter level
• A bespoke taxonomy to allow the user to discover the most relevant content
• Highly visual content to create a rich and rewarding experience for instructors and students "
"Screen Studies is a dynamic digital platform taking users from script to screen and beyond – offering a broad range of content from Bloomsbury, Faber & Faber and the British Film Institute to support moving-image studies.
"• A growing number of iconic and contemporary screenplays, presented in industry-standard studio format
• Authoritative coverage of works by leading filmmakers such as Wes Anderson, Agnes Varda, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, providing insight into professional and creative practice
• Instant access to over 2890 critical and contextual eBooks, on a diverse range of genres, regions, themes, and filmmakers- including practical instruction on screenwriting and filmmaking
• Modular collections offering access to highly respected titles from the British Film Institute
• An illustrated timeline of cinema history which enhances contextual understanding of key events in film production, culture, and technologies, with links to related content throughout the resource
• Powerful advanced search, tailored taxonomy, and personalization features, allowing users to discover and save content relevant to their work with ease
• Browse by people; themes; genres, movements, and styles; or content types including screenplays or books – ideal for different approaches to research or independent study"
Theology and Religion Online offers students and scholars a richly layered resource devoted and dedicated to research, study, and teaching in Theology, Biblical Studies, and Religious Studies.
"• Primary texts by major theologians – classic texts from the most important theologians that shaped theology in the 20th century offering detailed examination of a wide number of doctrines, such as the Trinity, Atonement, Creation, Pneumatology, and Creation
• Interactive Timeline- underpinning every product within Theology and Religion Online, the timeline presents essential broader context for research as well as key information on theology and theologians specific to the resource
• Companions and Texts – providing comprehensive coverage of the discipline, these texts provide overviews of key topics, research areas, and new directions.
• Monographs and classic works – more than 60 titles spanning topics including the historical Jesus, reading and literature in the time of Jesus, Jesus and film, and early Christology
• Digitally exclusive articles written by an international range of leading scholars to support research and study of core and cutting-edge topics
• Images showcasing key sites and archaeological locations, reliquaries, mosaics, places of worship, and representations of Jesus in art to provide a way of locating Jesus in the history of faith and culture
• Audio resources including podcasts on core topics and publications"